Analytics - (Performance) Metrics, key performance indicators (KPI)
Table of Contents
1 - Definition
A (performance) metric is an calculated and aggregated measure of activities of:
- a person,
- a process,
- an event,
- or an institution organization.
A metric gives a way of quantitatively and periodically measuring, assessing, controlling or selecting.
It has standard unit such as :
- meter or mile for length,
- or gram or ton for weight,
- or systems of measurement,
2 - Articles Related
3 - In Business Intelligence, Metrics or KPI ?
In a Business Intelligence context, metrics are often referred to as :
- key performance indicators (KPI)
- key quality indicators (KQI)
One difference that we can made between metrics and KPI is that:
- a metric is a measure of business activity.
- whereas the key performance indicator (KPI) are the most important and relevant metrics often associated with a target.
4 - Data Rule and Metrics
A data rule is like a metrics definition. It is an indicator, so you should create data rules that are important things to measure with regards to the business strategy (KPI), to the data quality (KQI), …
5 - Example
- Customer loyalty
- Short and long term performance
to define action such as Investissement on:
- new product