Data Modeling (RDBMS or Code)
Table of Contents
1 - About
A data model in software engineering is an abstract model that try to represent the reality and describes how data are represented and accessed.
Data models formally define:
- and relationships among them
Data modeling can be found:
- in RDMS where a table represents a data entity and the keys, the relationship
There is not a right or wrong way of doing things as:
- design decision involves trade-offs between:
- against reduction of data duplicate and design complexity.
- every data model is meant to evolve. See Gay marriage: the database engineering perspective
2 - Articles Related
3 - Data Modeling Concepts
4 - Types of RDBMS Physical Models (Schema)
The difference between model (ER, Dimensional, Vault) has everything to do with terminology and method.
There are two basic types of physical models :
E-R models are designed to minimize data storage redundancy and optimize data updates.
Dimensional models are designed to enhance understandability and to optimize query performance.
- Data Vault
The Data Vault consists of three primary entity types:
- and Satellites.
The Hubs are core business keys, the Links form all relationships, and the Satellites provide all descriptive information.