Linux / Unix
Table of Contents
1 - Distribution and Graphic Environment
Linux is an open source software and anyone can take it and create this own Linux (of distribution). It's why you can find a lot of distribution on the market :
- Oracle Enterprise Linux (which is derived from Red Hat)
- Ubuntu 8.04 ( The Linux reference ?)
- Mandriva Spring One 2008 ( The challenger ? )
- Fedora 9 ( The most recent version )
- Open Suse 10.3 ( a Swiss army knife )
The most Linux GUI are :
- KDE (refer more to the Windows interface)
- Gnome (refer more to the Mac Os interface)
2 - Article
3 - Other
A daemon is a UNIX application that runs in the background and provides services.
3.1 - putty
putty is a communications client program to establish a telnet or ssh connection to a target server system.
3.2 - Cygwin
Cygwin provides a Unix-like environment under Windows. The installation directory (by default, c:\cygwin) is the root of the Unix-like file system, which contains bin, etc, home, tmp, and usr directories as would be found on a GNU/Linux or other Unix system.