(Data|State) Management and Processing
Table of Contents
1 - About
System that manages data are called database.
In a computer, there is two kinds of byte:
- instruction byte
- and data byte.
This section is about data byte. See Memory
2 - Data
Data are recorded facts.
Data are often viewed as the lowest level of abstraction from which information and knowledge are derived.
Data comes from the Latin word “datum” meaning a “thing given”.
The word “data” is the plural of the word “datum”, which means the result of a single measurement.
Data without context tells a misleading story.
In God we trust; all others must bring data. W.E. Deming
Data is structured information with potential for meaning. Scott Murray - Interactive Data Visualization for the Web - Chapter 5. Data
3 - Application needs
Application needs to:
- Store and retrieve data:
- a small amount (OLTP databases),
- analytics (OLAP, columnar databases)
- Speed up response time by remembering the result of expensive operations (caches),
- Search data or filter it (search indexes),
4 - Information Managment
5 - Type
6 - From Data To Wisdom
- Data: recorded facts
- Information: patterns, or expectations, that underlie them
- Knowledge: the accumulation of your set of expectations
- Wisdom: the value attached to knowledge