Computer - Motherboard
1 - About
Each CPU needs a compatible motherboard that can host it.
Each motherboard is defined by its chipset model that determine the environment that a CPU can control.
A motherboard typically consists of:
- a slot or more for CPU
- a chipset of two chips which are the Northbridge and Southbridge chips:
- Southbridge chip is responsible for the communication with I/O devices and other devices that are not performance sensitive.
- slots for memory sticks
- a slot or more for graphic cards.
- generic slots for other devices, e.g. network card, sound card.
- ports for I/O devices, e.g. keyboard, mouse, USB.
The motherboard organization.
2 - Articles Related